Kings Head Hotel

Local Attractions

Local Attractions Local Attractions

Local Attractions

The Causey Arch Picnic areaThe world's oldest surviving railway bridge built 1725-6 stands over a rocky gorge. Woodland walks and access to Tanfield Railway.

Beamish Open Air Museam
Visit the town, colliery village, working farm, Pockerley Manor and 1825 railway, recreating life in the North East in the early 1800s and 1900s.


DiggerLand
An adventure park based on diggers where children of all ages can ride and drive diggers. A wonderful place for family fun.

Lanchester Valley Walk
The Railway Path provides an ideal way of exploring the countryside of the Lanchester Valley and beyond. It is suitable for walking, cycling and horse riding. The railway was originally built to carry iron ore to Consett Steelworks and coal from Langley Park. It opened as a passenger service in 1862 and closed altogether in 1965.

Along the route there are many points of interest. These include:Beau Repaire, a former monks retreat, can be viewed from the railway path as it passes nearby the village of Bearpark which takes its name from this site.

Lanchester Roman Fort was located on the major Roman supply route 'Dere Street'. There is no public access to the Fort as it is on private land. However it can be seen from the lay-by on the B6296 Lanchester-Satley road (0.7 km from the railway path).

Hurbuck Embankment is a large embankment constructed using colliery waste. The former wooden 'Knitsley Viaduct' which was used until 1915, still exists, buried beneath the embankment.

The Lanchester Valley Railway Path is approximately 19.5 km (12 miles) long. It begins at Broompark Picnic Area where it meets two other railway paths

The Consett to Sunderland Cycle Route
Twenty-mile, traffic-free cycle route, using former railway lines. Abundant flora and fauna and many works of public art. Forms part of C2C Whitehaven to Sunderland route.

Website powered by BT